Last updated on: September 17, 2020
Jet Li is a Chinese actor, film producer, martial artist, and retired Wushu champion. He is best known for his acting in movies like Fearless, Romeo Must Die, Once Upon a Time in China, Mulan, The Expendables.
Know Jet Li bio, career, debut, wife, age, height, awards, favorite things, body measurements, girlfriend, dating history, net worth, car collections, address, date of birth, school, residence, religion, father, mother, children, and much more.
Jet Li was born on April 26, 1963, in Beijing, China, Jet Li is the youngest of 5 children. When Li changed into the best 2 years vintage, he lost his father. At age 8, he commenced getting to know wushu, a form of martial arts. Noting his talent, his circle of relatives despatched him to retain his studies at a special school. “I became from a totally poor own family and we didn’t have sufficient money for a terrific faculty, so sports-school become appropriate; it gave me excellent food and an opportunity out of China,” Li later defined to Muscle & Fitness magazine.
At the age of 11, Li won his first countrywide championship. As a result, he traveled to extra than 45 countries as part of the Bejing Wushu Team. In 1974, Li traveled to the USA and gave a martial arts demonstration for President Richard M. Nixon. He has become the All-Around National Wushu Champion that 12 months, an identity he held for five consecutive years.
Li retired from the sport whilst he was 17. Working with director Chang Hsin Yen, he made his movie debut in Shaolin Temple (1982). The movie helped make Li a star in his native us of a and spawned numerous sequels. By the give up of the 1980s, Li had relocated to Hong Kong, wherein he has become involved in the martial arts film scene. In Once Upon a Time in China (1991) he played Wong Fei-hung, a mythical hero who fights against foreigners on this 19th-century tale. The famous film had sequels.
1998-2004: Hollywood Hit
In 1998, Li landed his first English-language function, gambling a horrific guy in Lethal Weapon four with Mel Gibson and Danny Glover. He relocated to Los Angeles for the film, where he underwent extensive language schooling to prepare for his function as a Chinese crime boss. This movement movie, in particular the scenes with Li, delighted movie audiences.
Li teamed up with rapper DMX and singer Aaliyah for Romeo Must Die (2000) a hip-hop-meets-martial-arts take at the classic tale of younger love, Romeo and Juliet. Li and Aaliyah played star-crossed enthusiasts from warring crime families. The film scored large on the box workplace, incomes roughly $one hundred million. In 2001, Li co-starred with Bridget Fonda in Kiss of the Dragon directed by using Luc Besson. He helped increase the story for the film, which tells the story of a wronged intelligence officer out to clean his name with the help of a prostitute (played by using Fonda). A critic for The New York Times praised elements of the film, writing “his movement sequences are like an oil fire, spilling from one room into the following and lighting fixtures the interiors with warmth and wreckage. Mr. Li and his fisticuffs choreographer, Corey Yuen, have set a new standard for motion here.”
That identical year, Li starred in the convoluted technological know-how fiction tale, The One. He performed the predominant characters, an unsuspecting California sheriff and a ruthless killer who travels thru parallel worlds to eliminate the different variations of himself. The film changed into panned by using critics for its perplexing plot and weak acting. Next, he worked with director Yimou Zhang on the Chinese historic drama Hero, wherein Li played a warrior in third-century China. The film became released in China in 2002 and earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Film. He then reunited with DMX for 2003’s crime thriller Cradle 2 the Grave, which acquired poor critiques and a lukewarm response from film-goers.
The following year, Jet Li was on vacation within the Maldives while a tsunami hit. It became extensively pronounced that he had died all through the catastrophe. However, he only suffered a minor foot injury while guiding his four-year-old daughter to safety.
2005-2008: Action Hero
Safe and back on the massive screen, Li subsequently starred in Unleashed (2005). He performed a person who changed into a captive killing machine for a criminal offense family. The individual changed into trained to grow to be violent after his collar turned into removed. To put together for the position, Li labored with an appearing coach. “We went to see wild dogs at the pound [to see] when they’re hungry while they’re angry … I spent some days on location at night, with just bread and water, so I could feel it,” Li defined to Muscle & Fitness magazine. The film performed well at the box workplace, commencing at No. three in theaters.
In his subsequent film, Fearless (2006), Li starred because the famed Chinese martial arts grasp Huo Yuanjia. The film tells the true story of Yuanjia’s near-demise experience, the tragic lack of his family, and his positive victory over his foreign opponents in a martial arts competition. Critic Leonard Maltin referred to as it “emotionally charged and visually striking.” Fans additionally loved the film, assisting it to reach No. 2 on the box office in its establishing weekend.
Li then performed Rogue, a deadly assassin, in War (2007). In the movie, Li plays a person who’s pursued by using the associate of an FBI agent he murdered. Critics panned the film, and it earned only $22 million at the box workplace. The identical 12 months, Li starred in the Chinese movie The Warlords directed through Peter Chan.
In The Forbidden Kingdom (2008), Li had the possibility of paintings with another main martial arts star, Jackie Chan. The movie, however, proved to be a disappointment. As San Francisco Chronicle critic Peter Hartlaub wrote: “The movie additionally adequately answers the query why Chan and Li haven’t yet achieved a film together of their collective 55-12 months careers: Chan is a much higher actor. As for the fighting, and the movie, it’s quite plenty a draw.”
Li had better success with the Hollywood movement sequel The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008). In this modern installment in The Mummy franchise, Li performed a brutal Chinese emperor, buried with 10,000 terra cotta soldiers, who’s awoken from his eternal slumbers with the aid of a young adventurer (Luke Ford). Brendan Fraser and Maria Bello play the adventurer’s mother and father who help him warfare the evil emperor. Despite being derided by critics, the movie scored with movement fans. It brought in more than $one hundred million at the box office.
Continuing to move from side to side among Hollywood productions and Chinese language films, Li regarded in two different films. He starred in Ocean Paradise, a Chinese father-son drama. Li also had a helping function in Sylvester Stallone‘s 2010 movie, The Expendables, about mercenaries who paintings collectively to overthrow a South American dictator. The solid also covered Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, wrestler Steven Austin, and ultimate fighter Randy Couture. In 2012 and 2014, he went on to star within the next installments of the famous franchise.
Interested in charitable causes, Li serves as an envoy for the Red Cross. He hooked up the Jet Li One Foundation in partnership with the Red Cross Society of China. The employer works in several different regions and provides catastrophe alleviation to the humans of China.
Li Lian Jie
Shaolin Temple (1982)
Best Known for
Lethal Weapon, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Hong Kong Film Award for Best Actor (2008 – The Warlords)
Shanghai Film Critics Award for Best Actor (2008 – The Warlords)
Hong Kong Film Critics Society Award (2006 – Fearless)
Date of Birth
April 26, 1963
School / College / University
Beijing Wushu Academy in Beijing, China
Race / Ethnicity
Playing Badminton, Table tennis, Volleyball, ride his bicycle, read and meditate.
None or unknown.
Physical Stats & More
- In feet – 5′ 6″
- In Centimeters – 168 cm
- In meters – 1.68 m
- In kilograms – 68 kg
- In Pounds – 150 lbs
- Chest Size: 40″
- Biceps Size: 14″
- Waist Size: 30″
Nina Li Chi (1999-Present)
Qiuyan Huang (1987-1990)
Li Qingquan (Deceased)
Zhang Fenglan (Deceased)
Li Lian sheng
Relationship & More
Married to Nina Li Chi
19 September 1999 (Nina Li Chi)
1987 (Qiuyan Huang)
Affairs or dating history
Qiuyan Huang (1987-1990)
Nina Li Chi (1999-Present)
Past times – Reading, riding his bicycle, Meditating, Playing table tennis, or badminton.
Source of Income – Acting
- Dodge Challenger SRT – $82,000
- Maserati GranTurismo – $160,000
- Range Rover – $100,000
- Mercedes SLR McLaren – $200,000
- Spyker C8 Spyder SWB – $355,000
- Rolls Royce Phantom – $500,000
It will be updated soon
Find on Web
No verified accounts.
Jet Li interesting and unknown facts
- Jet Li is the fifth child of Li Qingquan and Zhang Feng Lan. He changed into born on April 26, 1963, in Beijing, China, in a town called Hebei. He misplaced his father at the age of.
- He started out to learn martial arts at the age of eight. Even in between plenty of struggles after his father’s death, Li’s natural expertise made him win his first countrywide championship in Wushu (Chinese combat arts) at the age of 11.
- He performed martial arts at the white house garden in the front of Richard Nickson and Henry Kissinger as part of the people’s junior Wushu team.
- Jet Li won 5 gold medals in martial arts in the course of his childhood. He becomes crowned “Gold Champion” at the Chinese martial arts competition.
- Before reaching teenage, Jet Li won five countrywide titles in Wushu or even were given the call as Jet, for his blazing pace in martial arts.
- He was in truth nicknamed as Jet after a publicity organization within the Philippines, found his actual call too tough to pronounce.
- It is stated that Li, as a child, became asked by President Richard Nixon to be his non-public bodyguard, whilst the Chinese National Wushu Team went to perform for the President in the United States. He replied, “I don’t want to guard any individual. When I develop up, I want to defend my 1000000000 Chinese countrymen.”
- He was married to Huang Qiuyan inside the year 1987. Their marriage lasted the simplest for three years. She becomes his WUSHU team member and his co-star within the movie “Kids from Shaolin”. They were together until 1990 and got divorced. He has two daughters with Qiuyan – Si, and Taimi.
- His second spouse is Nina Li Chi, who is also a Shanghai-born actress and they married in 1999. He had daughters with Nina Li – Jane and Jada.
- He became a Singapore citizen in the course of 2009, via renouncing US Citizenship. He did so due to the fact the education system in Singapore is right for his daughters.
- Jet Li made his directional debut with the movie “Born to Defence” within the yr 1986. He also labored as a martial arts choreographer in this movie.
- The purpose behind Li’s minute scar on his nose is that it changed into broken in the course of the filming of a boxing scene in “Born to Defence.”
- He made his debut inside the film “Shaolin temple” within the yr 1982. The improvement of the movie, which becomes based totally on the martial arts, began in 1979.
- He made his first debut in the Hollywood movie called “Lethal Weapon 4” in 1998 as a villain. This movie turned into directed by way of Richard Donner. This also marks his first-ever villain role in his entire career.
- When he made his Hollywood debut, all he knew became only some phrases in English, like ‘Good Morning,’ ‘Thank you,’ and so on, and needed to learn fully. Remembering that in an interview with Los Angeles Times, he said, “When I began I only knew the way to say “properly morning,” “thank you” and a few unmarried words.
- Warner Bros hired a teacher and he taught me enough. If you want to make Hollywood films you want to study [English].”
- Jet Li’s individual call in this movie “Lethal Weapon 4,” became Wah Sing Ku. Jackie Chan was the first character selected for the role, who refused to carry out the position as a villain.
- During one particular fight sequence inside the film “Lethal Weapon 4,” Jet Li’s moves have been so fast that the camera became no longer capable of seizing all his moves. The director asked Jet Li to perform his actions again, however slowly.
- Li acted totally free for the drama “Ocean Heaven” in 2010 and it becomes his first complete dramatic function.
Li’s unsatisfied film was “War” in 2007. He has expressed his dissatisfaction with the film, in lots of interviews stating that he became no longer satisfied with this film.
- His first leading function in Hollywood become Han Sing in the movie “Romeo Must Die” in 2000. It was after the manufacturer Joel Silver promising him the lead position in this movie that he agreed to do the villain role in “Lethal Weapon 4.”
- Even even though Jet Li become now not top in English inside the movie “Romeo Must Die,” his man or woman attracted the audience and turned into also properly received.
- He becomes, to begin with, forged as Li Mu Bai inside the 2000 film “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” however had to show it down, because of his promise to his spouse Nina Li Chi that he would no longer work at the same time as she was pregnant.
- His movie “Fearless” become launched inside the year 2006. This film is based on a kung fu master who turns from a fighter into a man. This film delivered the message that martial arts are the simplest for self-betterment.
- He was awarded as the Best Actor for his performance in “Fearless” by way of the Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards.
- Jet Li performed the function of a policeman within the movie “Kiss The Dragon,” which was banned in China because he played a character that kills foreigners. He becomes additionally the writer of this film.
- Last combat scene of the movie “Once Upon a Time in China – 2” was done by Li with plaster on his knee. It becomes damaged even as he turned into jumping from a tea shop with an umbrella.
- The first movie where each Jet Li and Jackie Chan acted together changed into “The Forbidden Kingdom” in 2008. In the film, Chan performed the role of Drunken grasp Lu Yan, and Li played the position of a silent monk.
In “The Forbidden Kingdom,” Chan expressed that he was very cushty in fighting with Li as he turned into synchronized in the motion with Chan.
- Another well-known film is “The One” in 2001, in which he is visible fighting and killing an alternate universe version of himself. In the scene in which he fights against his change version became shot through painting green shade within the face of a stunt guy who has similar physic like Jet Li. And after that, they changed digitally Jet Li’s face within the stuntman’s face.
- Almost 18000 Authentic squaddies from the Chinese People’s Liberation Army and 300 Ebony horsed had been applied in Li’s film “Hero.”
- Fighting actions like cheek slap, back of the pinnacle slap have been removed from “The Fearless” by way of Li, as he felt that these movements were impudent or uncultured to the western peoples.
- “The Expendables” and “The Expendables 2” is the 1/3 and fourth movies respectively that Jason Statham and Jet Li have acted collectively, following “The One” in 2001 and “War” in 2007.
Jet Li’s Character call in the film “Expendables” was Yin Yang. Originally, his individual’s call turned into indexed as Kong Kao.
- In the film “The Expendables 2” complete scenes of Jet Li’s were shot in Hong Kong due to the fact that he turned into busy performing in another film at the equal time.
- Jet Li has been referred to as Astaire of Hong Kong movement film. It is suggested that even though he becomes very brave through all of the motion scenes in the front of the folks who are within the set, nonetheless his face turns pink whilst a lady moves close to him.
- Being a Tibetan Buddhist, Jet Li has a strong perception in “The difficulties of regular life can be triumph over with the assist of religious philosophies.”
- When Jet Li become spending his time at the Maldives all through the year 2006, he and his circle of relatives managed to get away from the Tsunami. This led Jet Li to start the “One Foundation” Charity, with the main idea of catastrophe relief, health, and education.
- The concept of Li’s charity enterprise “One Foundation,” is that everybody has to make a contribution one greenback or 1 yuan every month from their earning. He notes that one greenback isn’t always a smaller quantity and also a million dollars isn’t always a bigger quantity. The idea of donating to the public is more critical than any.
- In February 2009, Former U. S. President Bill Clinton spoke approximately Li’s “One foundation” that “The ‘One Foundation’ believes as I do inside the power of our not unusual humanity, and the spirit of giving is the same irrespective of how much cash you give or how many hours you volunteer.”
- In the year 2009 Jet Li teamed up with the British Prime Minister and released an assignment known as “Thousand Village Project” which offers the manner of using the electric electricity inside the village homes. This undertaking creates focus and educates the general public to use solar power for electric consumption.
- He donated 500,000 Yuan to Red Cross for their undertaking supporting intellectual health. The cash was from his box office series from the film “Fearless”. He is also a Philanthropic ambassador of that society.
- He becomes appointed through “International Red Cross”, as the first Good Will Ambassador within the yr 2007.
- Jet Li and Jackie Chan joined their hands in supporting the victims who have been stricken by Typhoons which divested Taiwan in the course of the 12 months 2009. They helped the victims each bodily and financially.
- In 2013, Li discovered in a Chinese Talent Show that he is tormented by Hyperthyroidism which consistent with him is the cause for his latest weight gain. He becomes diagnosed all through the 12 months of 2010. He has been advised not to do any exercise.
- AMPAS – Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Science which publicizes Oscar every 12 months has invited Jet Li to join it as a balloting member inside the yr 2008. Li is now one of the vote casting members, who determine approximately Oscar Award Winning candidates.
- In 2011, Jet Li shaped a program referred to as “Taiji Zen,” along with co-founder and government chairman Jack Ma. Taiji Zen definitely combines the Martial arts Taijiquan with mindfulness practices like Meditation.
- His upcoming film with a price range of 300 million HKD is “Feng Shen Bang” 3D movie, in which his personal name is Jiang Ziya.
- Jet Li has capitalized on the current instability in Chinese equities. Li and Nina Li have invested HK$1.15 billion in Far East Holding International Limited, a Hong Kong-listed holding corporation.
- It is reported that he had currently spent 3 months in Asia to research greater approximately Buddhism. “In Tibet, I changed into not able to shower for two weeks,” he advised in an interview. “There became no hot running water. But at the same time as I was there, I was simply happy.”
- Jet Li and Jackie Chan are planning to collaborate over again for another movie, following their first teaming up in “The Forbidden Kingdom.” Both Li and Chan discovered their desire to work together at the Hong Kong information conference, to sell the “Lion Gate Films.”
Most Watched videos of Jet Li